This bizarre little creature is a Phronima, a group of animals found throughout the worlds oceans (except polar regions). Phronima has six species, and like many marine animals they are transparent.
Females attack salps (a type of plankton), devour the animal and hollow out its shell. She then enters it and lays her eggs inside. After she’s deposited her eggs, she propels her cargo through the water as the offspring develop, providing them with food.
However, that’s not the really cool part (in my opinion anyway). Have you figured out what they look like yet? It’s a Xenomorph Queen!
Image taken on the scientific Tara Expedition.
- holyarticlesbatman likes this
- ladybonerz likes this
- futurist-foresight likes this
- thug-pugz likes this
- eight-eyedlegs likes this
- xabissideeye likes this
- elpasadonocuenta reblogged this from scienceyoucanlove and added:
- bwhoyouwant2be reblogged this from scienceyoucanlove
- absintheandecstasy likes this
- elpasadonocuenta likes this
- scienceyoucanlove posted this